5 minutes of fame............
If you live or have lived in New Westminster, BC, you know about May Day and the Hyack Festival. You know what being in the "May Queen Suite" meant. Nerdy me was elected by my schoolmates who felt sorry for me I suppose (I still don't get it as I was definitely NOT popular!) There were eight schools in New West, so there was eight representatives, one chosen as "May Queen" and the others had titles like "Registrar Bearer" and stuff like that.
May Day started in New West back in the late 1800's and is still going strong. Somewhere along the way it turned into a week long festival called the Hyack Festival. This year, the May Queen is actually a friend of the family. New Westminster roots run strong.

Those fingerless gloves reminded me of a cast.

I don't think I knew you grew up in New West . . . This is the year after I left elementary - I can tell because Naomi D. is the May Queen and she was a year behind me in high school . . . I can clearly remember those days listening to CKNW over the school's PA system waiting to hear which elementary school was picked for the queen . . . So, in this photo, who was from McBride?
ReplyDeleteWhoa...cool post. You never told me you were famous. Love it. Your parents must have been so proud. Cute outfits too.
ReplyDelete